The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport could usefully reflect on this report when undertaking its review of the NCPF under way at present; the following is taken directly from the document:
In forming a partnership with government, we would expect local authorities to:
- Set a clear and specific vision for their area which outlines how cycling and walking will be increased and supported in a defined area over a defined period;
- Develop a local walking and cycling delivery plan, supported by their own local partners such as voluntary sector organisations;
- Appoint an influential cycling and walking champion locally, be that an elected member, supported by senior officer or a key public figure;
- Demonstrate a commitment to door-to-door journeys, and to creating safe cycling and walking provision through cycle proofing and pedestrian proofing new transport infrastructure and, where relevant, a planned and funded cycling and walking investment programme;
- Demonstrate that their walking and cycling plans include steps to meet the needs of people from hard to reach groups – including disabled people, older people and others whose needs may differ.